Wednesday 1 October 2014

The Mihi.

My introduction is opaque with reason.

Sure it is important to make connections with people, social etiquette is essential when venturing into #grey areas on and off line, though we may have rejected the traditional forms of introduction when we were young.

My introduction is transparent with reason.

Introductions tend to begin quietly with labels, ascertaining who the newcomer is, rather than reserving judgement and having the ability to see the world from a new perspective.  The culture of taking friction as a personal attack and the inability to separate the person from 'the problem' continues into the virtual. Conversations refining each point of view never take place as each 'side' subconsciously defends their place.

Listen to what I say.  I will listen to you.

My introduction is clouded for a reason.

I have discovered that the way of the tangata whenua makes sense even in the modern context. A 'mihi' is used to informally or formally establish connections and commonality so that a relationship whether casual or more permanent can be cemented.  A person begins with the broad landscape, their waka, their mountain, their river and ends with their name -not a series of labels  but rather a journey with a destination.

It is a 'kuaha'  - a gateway in - with an 'aha' moment when a person connects with another.

This is my mihi, 

This is the entranceway.



Tena koutou katoa. 
Ko Aotearoa toku kainga. 
Ko Ka TiriTiri o te moana nga pae maunga. 
Ko Te Ihutai toku wai-kino
Ko Karoro Karoro
Ko Jon Mullen ahau.

A greeting to all. 
This is my country. 
These are my mountains. 
There is polluted water.
There is dry land.


I am a Father, I am a Husband, I am an Artist - it's how I view the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment